RBMHS is an exempt charity registered under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 - No. 21462R


Is Retirement Housing provided as a right to all?

No. Quite apart from the need to meet the eligibility criteria, those who are fully able to make adequate provision for themselves are expected to do so.

What does the RBMHS scheme provide?

Resources to enable Ministers to have a decent home of their own in the area of their choice subject to the financial ceiling set annually.

When should I apply?

The Society opens its lists five years in advance of retirement?

Can my own money be added?

Yes, subject to certain limitations. Ministers or spouses can add their own money to what the Society will provide in order to permit the acquisition of a property.

Are there any restrictions on types of property?

Houses, bungalows or flats can all be considered, but they must be freehold or long leasehold and structurally sound. Listed properties or those more than 100 years old are unlikely to be considered because of the likely higher costs of maintenance. Flats also need careful consideration in the light of possible service charges, which RBMHS cannot accept responsibility for.

Is there a ‘Means Test’ to establish eligibility?

Not as such, but Ministers and spouses are asked to be frank with the RBHMS about their capital resources and other relevant factors. This is to ensure a mutual agreement is reached on how much, if any, of those resources should be made available for purchase of retirement accommodation.

What happens if a Minister dies in service?

In the event of a Minister dying in service the Society would look to offer help to the surviving spouse as far as future housing needs are concerned.

What happens when I die?

When a tenant dies the surviving spouse may continue to occupy the home under exactly the same terms and conditions. When a property is vacated through death or removal, it will usually be offered to other applicants on the list or put on the market for sale, with the proceedings used for the purchase of other properties.

What costs have to be met in retirement?

Ministers and spouses become tenants of the RBMHS and the relationship is governed by a Tenancy Agreement which sets out the respective obligations of each party. Tenants are responsible for interior decoration and their own contents, council tax and utility bills. As the Landlord the RBMHS is responsible for the fabric and boundaries of the property.

What will the rent be?

Tenants pay a monthly rent to the RBMHS which is generally only a fraction of the market rent level. Rents are calculated as 10% of a households taxable income. 

Who will own the property?

The property is normally purchased in the name of the RBMHS.